31st Annual Conference – CANCELLED
On Monday, July 6, 2020 the ARFFWG Board of Directors met to discuss the recent outbreaks of COVID-19 and our 31st Annual Conference. We also met with the Omni Orlando Resort at Championsgate to discuss the effects COVID-19 is having on the conference and our members.
Regretfully, our decision is to cancel the 31st Annual International Educational Conference & Training Symposium for the following reasons:
- Due to the Global Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the ARFFWG cannot guarantee the health and safety of our attendees, exhibitors, and staff.
- The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel health notice.
- Warning, Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel – Widespread Ongoing Transmission
- Due to CDC’s Level 3 warning, Fire Departments and Airports are not allowing our members to travel.
- Due to the recent COVID-19 outbreaks, Fire Departments and Airports are not allowing our members to travel.
- COVID-19 financial impact
- Airline traffic has decreased over 95% with billions of dollars of lost revenue. Businesses have closed or dramatically decreased their operations causing Cities and Counties to have billions of dollars in lost tax revenue. This lost revenue has dramatically cut training and travel budgets for the remainder of 2020 and possibly throughout 2021. These budget cuts will not allow our members to attend educational conferences, including our 31st Annual Conference.
For those who have registered for the conference, we will be refunding your registration fee. If you made hotel reservations, the Omni Resort will be canceling your reservation without any fees. You will receive a cancellation email from the Omni.
I want to personally thank our presenters for supporting this conference and for their willingness to help educate us.
I am incredibly grateful for the generous donations we received to fund firefighters. All the donated funds will be used to fund firefighters at our next conference.
COVID-19 hit us hard, but it has not knocked us out. We are still moving forward with the 2021 February Leadership Conference. We’re partnering with the FAA and training facilities to give our members free educational Webinars. I hope to have more information to share about our first Webinar soon. The ARFFWG Board of Directors are committed to giving back to you, our members during the time we all need each other the most.
ARFF Working Group