Officials: No one hurt

By Dan Griffin


A Delta Airlines plane is back on pavement after an intense and snowy Sunday morning at the Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport.

Airport officials said the plane slid off the taxiway in the poor conditions.

Delta Airlines is investigating what happened as flights continue coming and going as usual.

Meanwhile, passengers are recounting what happened.

“I think we knew we were stuck immediately. He kept saying ‘We’re stuck, we’re not going anywhere,'” Julie Hagl said.

Hagl was on Delta Airlines Flight 1708 from Las Vegas when it landed at CVG early Sunday.

It was about 5:30 a.m. when she said she felt a jolt after the plane hit the ground hard.

She said she knew something wasn’t right.

“It landed and then it was rolling. It slid, like, on the ice and then it went off,” Hagl said.

CVG officials said as the plane was taxiing over to Concourse B, it slipped off the pavement.

WLWT obtained photos from people who were on board, showing the scene through their eyes.

Officials said first responders followed procedure to help people on the plane and no one was hurt.

“Some shuttle buses had to come out. They had to pull the stairs up to the plane. Shuttle buses had to come out and take us in groups back to the actual airport,” Hagl said.

Delta Airlines released this statement to WLWT:

“Upon landing in Cincinnati this morning at 5:30 a.m. from Las Vegas, Delta flight 1708 exited the taxiway and onto airfield grass. Delta teams in Cincinnati quickly worked with airport officials to safely deplane customers onto buses.

No injuries were reported by the 120 customers on board or by the Delta flight crew. Delta teams are examining the 737-900ER aircraft and will be reviewing what occurred today with other aviation stakeholders. Safety is always Delta’s top priority.”

Airport officials said the airport never closed and the situation didn’t affect other flights.

It’s still something many will remember, at least for a while.

“Not scared, we’ll definitely fly again,” Hagl said.

Hagl said everyone was calm on the flight.

WLWT tried to contact the National Transportation Safety Board to see if it is involved in the investigation, but no one was available because of the government shutdown.

Check the latest weather conditions and closings here.