A Southwest Airlines flight was departing for San Jose from John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana when a fire was reported aboard the plane on Monday night, an airport spokeswoman said.

The fire — which has since been put out — broke out on Southwest flight #2123, causing its emergency chutes to deploy, according to the airport. Evacuations slides were used to remove passengers and crew members from the plane, the airline said.

It was reported at about 7:30 p.m., Deanne Thompson, an airport spokeswoman, said.

“A few minor injuries” were reported by the airport in a tweet, although officials have not released further information about those — only saying no one was taken to a hospital for treatment.

No serious injuries were reported, according to a statement from Southwest Airlines.

The flight was carrying 139 passengers and 5 crew members, airport officials tweeted. An hour after the fire was first reported, Southwest Airlines was still working on getting those passengers onto other flights the same night, Thompson said.

However, as baggage for each passenger has to now be transferred onto other planes, Southwest has no exact time frame for when people would be ensured a replacement flight, she said.

In a statement, the airline said its employees in Orange County were “working diligently” to make accommodations for passengers.

“We regret any inconvenience the event has caused,” the airline statement read.

John Wayne Airport


Due to a fire believed to be in the auxiliary power unit, the SW crew decided to evacuate the plane. 139 passengers and 5 crew members. A few minor injuries and no one was transported. Fire is out.

John Wayne Airport tweeted that the fire had been put out just before 8:00 p.m.

John Wayne Airport


Southwest Airlines flight #2123 landed at John Wayne Airport. A fire was reported, chutes were deployed to evacuate passengers and crew members. Fire is out. Additional details pending.

At the time the fire broke out, the plane was pushing back from the gate, Thompson said. It was located in the auxiliary power unit, which is a small engine in the rear of the plane.

Soon after the fire was reported, the airline crew decided to evacuate passengers from the plane, the airport said in tweet.

By 8:35 p.m., the airport tweeted that operations across its facility were “back to normal.”