Flaps Were Up, But The Airplane Continued To Climb About 300 Ft Per Minute

Location: Hutchinson, MN Accident Number: CEN22FA111
Date & Time: January 31, 2022, 12:56 Local Registration: N227BD
Aircraft: Cirrus Design Corp SR22 Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation – Instructional

On January 31, 2022, about 1256 central standard time, a Cirrus SR22 airplane, N227BD, was destroyed when it was involved in an accident near Hutchinson, Minnesota. The flight instructor was seriously injured, and the pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 instructional flight.

The flight instructor reported that the purpose of the flight was to familiarize the pilot with the newly purchased airplane. After practicing maneuvers, they proceeded to the Hutchinson Municipal Airport – Butler Field (HCD) to practice a touch-and-go landing. The airplane touched down onto the runway and bounced. The pilot added power, reduced the flaps, and placed the nose to the horizon to conduct a go around. The airplane started to climb very slowly. The flight instructor confirmed the airplane’s flaps were up, but the airplane continued to climb about 300 ft per minute. In addition, he felt an erratic vibration. He could hear and feel it rattle through the airplane. The airplane’s airspeed increased to about 90 knots and as the airplane climbed through 500 ft agl, they stated “caps available.” The airplane continued to climb very slowly, and the pilot stated, “your flight controls.” The flight instructor took over the controls and ensured the throttle was full forward. He made a gradual turn to align the airplane with an open field. The airplane continued to gain altitude, however, its airspeed decreased below 80 knots. The flight instructor told the pilot to pull the parachute, and he did. The flight instructor kept the airplane level until the forward parachute straps tightened. He then reduced the throttle to idle, turned off the mixture, and made a mayday call. He does not recall the impact sequence.

The airplane touched down in an open field about 2 miles southeast of HCD. The airplane came to rest mostly intact, and the debris field was contained to a small area. The first identified point of impact consisted of the nose gear wheel, fairing, and one propeller blade. A narrow line of oil extended about 5 ft toward the main wreckage, which was about 15 ft northwest. One propeller blade was located about 400 ft southwest of the main wreckage, and the second propeller blade was about 40 ft east of the wreckage; it was the last piece of debris.

FMI: www.ntsb.gov