The Airplane… Came To Rest Inverted In Marshland About 1,500 Ft Past The Departure End Of The Landing Runway

Location: St. Augustine, FL Accident Number: ERA22FA141
Date & Time: March 2, 2022, 17:02 Local Registration: N100NG
Aircraft: Extra NG Injuries: 1 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General aviation – Personal

On March 2, 2022, at 1702 eastern standard time, an Extra NG, N100NG, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near St. Augustine, Florida. The private pilot was fatally injured. The airplane was operated by the pilot as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

The pilot of an Extra 300, N331FZ, stated he was flying chalk two in a flight of two with his fiancé flying lead in the accident airplane. They were returning to their home airport after a short local flight. After several minutes of watching smoke come from the exhaust of the accident airplane, he asked over the radio if the airplane’s smoke-generator was on. The pilot replied that it was not, and she added that the engine was producing only 1,380 rpm, which was below the expected 2,200 rpm cruise power setting. While at 2,800 ft, 190 knots groundspeed, and 10 miles west of Northeast Florida Regional Airport (SGJ), N331FZ advised air traffic control (ATC) that N100NG had a partial loss of engine power, was trailing smoke, and declared an emergency for the accident airplane. The pilot of N100NG stated over the tower frequency “my engine is doing something weird, what do I do?” As both airplanes approached SGJ, N331FZ stated over the tower frequency “you’re going to make it down, cut the throttle, slip it in, you have a lot of energy now, cut the throttle, slip it deep, deep, slip, you got it.”

A review of the Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) data provided by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) final target depicted the airplane at 200 ft and 165 knots groundspeed as it crossed the airport boundary. The airplane overflew the 8,000 ft runway and came to rest inverted in marshland about 1,500 ft past the departure end of the landing runway. Afterwards, the pilot transmitted over the tower frequency, “I had too much speed, I should have come in slower.”

Examination of the wreckage revealed no evidence of in-flight or post-crash fire. Flight control continuity was established from the cockpit controls to all flight control surfaces. About 11 gallons of fuel were drained from the fuel tanks. The fuel appeared clear and free of contaminants. Two of the three propeller composite blades were fractured off at the hub. The engine’s crankshaft was rotated by hand at the propeller hub and continuity was established from the powertrain to the valvetrain and the accessory section. Compression was confirmed using the thumb method. Examination of the cylinders, valves, and pistons with a lighted borescope revealed no anomalies. Both magnetos were removed, actuated with an electric drill, and spark was produced at all terminal leads. The propeller governor was removed, rotated by hand, and oil flowed through the governor as designed. The mechanical fuel pump was removed and pumped fluid when actuated by hand; no anomalies were noted. The electric fuel pump operated normally with electrical power applied; the pump rotated normally. The throttle body fuel filter, fuel nozzles, and fuel flow divider were clear and free of debris.

The wreckage was retained for further examination.