On September 11, 2001 two Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, Fire & Rescue Department foam units responded from Washington Reagan National Airport seconds after an aircraft crashed into the North side of the Pentagon. These units were supported in rescue operations by firefighting personnel from the City of Alexandria, Arlington County, Washington Reagan National Airport, Fairfax County and Fort Myer, Virginia, in addition to the District of Columbia and throughout Maryland, all trying to save lives on that dramatic day.
An opportunity to honor the men and women whose lives were forever changed that day presented itself when one of those foam units became available after being rescued from the scrap yard by the Oshkosh Truck Corporation.
The Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting Working Group is raising $300,000 for the restoration and conservation of Truck 331. We have been informed by the Smithsonian that if we complete that work, the truck will be accessioned into the collection of the National Air and Space Museum. In order to make this vision a reality, we need your donations to assist with:
- Transporting the vehicle from Oshkosh WI to Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus
- Restoration of the vehicle by Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus
- Transporting the vehicle from Brindlee Mountain to Dulles Intl. Airport
- Moving the vehicle into the museum with specifically designed casters to support the weight.
- Jack stands that will be placed under the vehicle once it is displayed
- Preventative Maintenance
- Advertising and Public Awareness supporting the project
Brindlee Mountain Fire Apparatus has agreed to support this operation by performing the restoration at a discounted price. Please help us with your tax deductible donation. The Smithsonian does not endorse any outside fundraising, and is not the recipient of these funds. Please go to http://www.arffwg.org to donate to the ARFFWG.
William D. Stewart
Division Chief Operations – Retired
Baltimore Washington International Airport Fire & Rescue Department
Past Chairman – ARFFWG