30 Years ago today: On 14 February 1990 an Indian Airlines Airbus 320 crashed while approaching Bangalore, India, killing 92 out of 146 occupants.

Date: Wednesday 14 February 1990
Time: 13:03
Airbus A320-231
Operator: Indian Airlines
Registration: VT-EPN
C/n / msn: 079
First flight: 1989-09-15 (5 months)
Total airframe hrs: 370
Cycles: 302
Engines:IAE V2500-A1
Crew: Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 7
Passengers: Fatalities: 88 / Occupants: 139
Total: Fatalities: 92 / Occupants: 146
Aircraft damage: Destroyed
Aircraft fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: 0,7 km (0.4 mls) W of Bangalore-Hindustan Airport (BLR) (   India)
Phase: Approach (APR)
Nature: Domestic Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport: Mumbai (Bombay) Airport (BOM/VABB), India
Destination airport: Bangalore-Hindustan Airport (BLR/VOBG), India
Flightnumber: IC605

Indian Airlines Flight 605 took off from Mumbai (Bombay) at 11:58 for a flight to Bangalore (BLR). At 12:25 Bangalore approach was contacted and prevailing weather at Bangalore was passed on to the crew (wind variable 5 knots, visibility 10 km, clouds 2 octa 2000 feet, temp 27deg, QNH 1018). At 12:44 the aircraft was cleared to descend to FL110. Reaching FL110, vectors were given for a visual runway 09 approach. On final approach, the aircraft descended well below the normal approach profile and kept descending until it struck the boundaries of the Karnataka Golf Club (2300 feet short of the runway and 200 feet right of the extended centerline. The aircraft rolled for 80 feet and lifted off again for about 230 feet and came down again on the 17th green of the golf course. The landing gear wheels dug into the ground and the aircraft impacted a 12 feet high embankment, causing the gears and engines to be sheared off. The aircraft continued over the embankment and came to rest in a grassy, marshy and rocky area.

Probable Cause:

PROBABLE CAUSE: “Failure of the pilots to realize the gravity of the situation and respond immediately towards proper action of moving the throttles, even after the radio altitude call-outs of “Four hundred”, “Three hundred” and “Two hundred” feet, in spite of knowing that the plane was in idle/open descent mode. However, identification of the cause for the engagement of idle/open descent mode in short final approach during the crucial period of the flight is not possible.”