30 Years ago today: On 6 January 1993 a Contact Air Flugdienst DHC-8 crashed while approaching Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport, France, killing 4 out of 23 occupants.

Status:Accident Investigation report not yet completed, but information verified through authorities or other sources.
Date:Wednesday 6 January 1993
Type:Silhouette image of generic DH8C model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
de Havilland Canada DHC-8-311
Operating for:Contact Air Flugdienst
Leased from:Lufthansa Cityline
First flight:1990
Total airframe hrs:5973
Engines:Pratt & Whitney Canada PW123
Crew:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 4
Passengers:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 19
Total:Fatalities: 4 / Occupants: 23
Aircraft damage:Destroyed
Aircraft fate:Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location:1,8 km (1.1 mls) E of Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG) (https://aviation-safety.net/database/country/flags_15/F.gif   France)
Phase:Approach (APR)
Nature:International Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport:Bremen Airport (BRE/EDDW), Germany
Destination airport:Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG/LFPG), France

A de Havilland Canada DHC-8-311 passenger plane, D-BEAT, was damaged beyond repair in an accident near Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (CDG), France. Four passengers were killed in the accident.
Flight LH5634 had departed Bremen Airport (BRE), Germany at 17:55 carrying 19 passengers and four crew members. During the descent towards Paris-Charles de Gaulle, runways 27 and 28 were in use.
The approach controller gave instructions for a runway 27 approach. The runway 27 ILS course was intercepted at 19:14, when 14 NM from the runway threshold.
The local/north controller then cleared the flight for a runway 27 approach. At the same time a preceding Korean Air Boeing 747 contacted the runway with its no. 1 engine. The ATC supervisor decided to close the runway for inspection. The local controller then contacted flight LH5634 and instructed them turn left to intercept the runway 28 ILS course and contact the local/south controller.
The crew contacted the local/south controller and reported at 1,5 NM from the runway. They did not see the runway yet because they were flying through clouds.
The aircraft entered a high sink rate and flew into the ground 1800 m short of the runway.